Professional Couple Seeking Comprehensive Financial Planning
Small business owners Bob and Carolyn were in their mid 60s and had built a net worth of approximately $10 million. They felt it was time to find a financial advisor for help with comprehensive financial planning that would include retirement planning and a review of their estate plan. They also wanted a financial advisor who would work as a team with their CPA.
Stewardship to the next generation; satisfying charitable intentions; tax planning; stability; asset preservation; coordination between advisors; peace of mind.
Bob and Carolyn desired to make a significant investment in a private business; Investment advice was needed, as well as income tax and estate tax planning.
- The financial planning process uncovered that the clients’ assets would continue to grow throughout retirement possibly resulting in an estate tax issue
- Through the financial planning process, we revealed social security strategies that would maximize their benefits
- Through analysis of the investments, we discovered that it would be highly advantageous to them to customize their asset allocation
- They also needed to balance the titling of assets to avoid estate tax exposure
The Arbor Trust team approach: financial planner, portfolio manager and trust expert; consulted with CPA; created financial plan to give clients peace of mind that they will have a secure future in retirement while achieving their charitable and family gifting goals.
- Presented investment proposal for new asset allocation and investment changes
- Explored social security alternatives
- Conducted estate plan review and discussed alternatives to minimize estate tax exposure
Solution and Results
- Consulted with CPA and developed a tax efficient investment strategy including pre and post retirement distributions to reduce tax liability
- Maximized retirement plan contributions
- Decided on social security solution to optimize benefits
- Discussed charitable and family gifting strategy
This case study is provided for illustrative purposes only to provide an example of the Firm’s process and methodology. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. The results portrayed in this case study are not representative of all of the Firm’s clients or the clients’ experiences. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and actual results may vary materially than those portrayed herein. Therefore, it should not be assumed that the future results of any specific investment or investment strategy will be profitable or equal the results portrayed herein. An individual’s experience may vary based on his or her individual circumstances and there can be no assurance that the Firm will be able to achieve similar results in comparable situations. No portion of this case study is to be interpreted as a testimonial or endorsement of the Firm’s investment advisory services and it is not known whether the Firm’s clients whose amalgamations the testimonials are based upon approve of the Firm or its services. The information contained herein should not be construed as personalized investment advice. Please contact us for additional information with respect to the strategies and/or investments described herein.